Sunday, September 27, 2015

Kindergarten: Exploring Mondrian


This year, I am welcoming kindergarteners to the art room on a regular basis! It's an exciting change and we have a busy and productive year ahead of us. We just completed our first project...an abstract composition! We discussed the colors, lines and shapes that we saw in Dutch Painter, Piet Mondrian's paintings. Focusing on his Composition with Large Red Plane, Yellow, Black, Gray, and Blue (1921) we made some great observations. 
They worked on cutting shapes from construction paper, gluing shapes and then adding black lines to their compositions in a creative way. Lots and lots to do with my two groups of 23! We began to re-create the definitive abstract compositions for which Mondrian is best known in our own way. Mondrian limited his palette to white, black, gray, and the three primary colors, with the composition constructed from thick, black horizontal and vertical lines that delineated the outlines of the various rectangles of color or reserve.









I was able to observe what skills my newest students possess and get a preliminary feeling for who they are as young artists. Stay tuned for more K artwork!




3 comments:

  1. These look great! I love this project! I didi a similar one a few years ago with K and 1st grade when teaching the Primary colors! Great results! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh- I would love to see yours!
      I'm already thinking of some new spins for this project. Hmm, maybe to try with 1st grade

      Delete
  2. I've only done this with first grade using marker lines, payons for the primary colors and silver crayon for the gray blocks. I like the idea with the paint lines! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete